Sunday, August 5, 2007

A Special First Look at Grey Gardens!

How do I describe my excitement when I saw Grey Gardens sitting in the inbox of my email. I am so excited that Alex decided to keep Christine Ebersole in both of the roles she played in the Broadway production of Grey Gardens. Alex chose Alan Parker to direct, whom you may know from the film Evita. I found the choice a bit off when I first looked at it, but after thinking about it, I don't really know who else would have been a better choice.

Alex chose not to keep Mary Louise Wilson from the acclaimed New York production and I have to say that I don't agree with replacing Wilson with Jill Clayburgh, but none the less she is a bigger name, but I still would have gone with Wilson.

It has a strong synopsis, which may be critiqued for being long, but it still is an easy read. The press section is short, but gets straight to the point, which to me didn't make it seem like a review, but it is well written.

While, I don't agree with all the casting (Hugh Jackman in High School?) there are still some positives (Clarie Danes as "Little" Edie Beale) and it has a strong baity story. I don't think this is going to be the bait that wins Alex his second Best Picture Oscar, but I think it will have a lot of Big 8 nominations. A solid bait, but could have been better. A lock for a Best Picture nominee at the Globes (in the Musical/Comedy category) and Ebersole is a slam dunk for the win. B+

FYC
Best Actress (Christine Ebersole)
Best Supporting Actress (Claire Danes and Jill Clayburgh)
Best Adapted Screenplay

No comments: