Monday, August 20, 2007

My Thoughts: The August Golden Globes

I thought I would share my thoughts on the nominees and some predictions...

Best Picture Drama
Bee-Bee's Funhouse
The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson
Fallout
Six Days in '67
Deep Secret


Where is Dorian Gray? I am upset that the voters didn't recognize Harry's best work since March! Anyway, I hate to I told you so, but back in the post where I was talking about who I thought would be the future Best Picture winners, I said that "He usually releases more art kind of baits and I think that will hurt him when trying to win Best Picture." and I think unfortunately that applies to this situation.

Anyway, besides Gray, it's a solid category, and I think this is really a two bait race. Those two baits being The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson and Deep Secret. Both are written by two popular, but never before Best Picture winning authors, Josh P. and Matt. Deep Secret is winning as far as Average Bait Reviews and Nominations go, but Rock Hudson won the Golden Igloo at the festival and definately has the most buzz. I'm putting my money on Deep Secret in a win that most won't be expecting.

Best Actor Drama
Jeff Bridges for Bee-Bee's Funhouse
Brian Cox for Deep Secret
Michael Imperioli for The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson
Tom Hanks for The Winter Sun
Chiwetel Ejiofer for Six Days in 67

Usually Best Picture Drama and Actor go hand in hand and I'm expecting to see Brian Cox win. Although don't be surprised if Imperioli takes it.


Best Actress Drama
Julianne Moore for The Witching Hour
Kerry Washington for Six Days in 67
Diane Lane for Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Connelly for Quiet Room
Sigourney Weaver for Equality

I'm betting Connelly becaues of the buzz, but I wouldn't put all your money on it. Lane is poised to take the statue home.


Best Picture Comedy/Musical
Bat Out of Hell
No More Smiles
You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown
The Munsters with Yvonne De Carlo
Grey Gardens

Let me say that I am very happy that you guys rewarded Charlie Brown with a nomination, that really makes me happy! Anyway, I don't think I'll win, I'm thinking Bat Out of Hell will win because it is the highest average review which history says wins. Also, the fact that it was penned by the always great Pat doesn't hurt.


Best Actor Comedy/Musical
Jared Leto for Bat Out of Hell
Andrew Simpson for Foggy London Nights
Jerry Stiller for The Munsters with Yvonne De Carlo
Billy Crudup for No More Smiles
Kelsey Grammer for My Life in Jokes

My feeling is that Simpson will take the award. Something just tells me that and I don't really know what it is. I don't think Stiller or Grammer (tear) have a chance and I think Crudup could be an upset, but I don't feel that it will happen. Leto is the closest competition and I don't think he will click with voters. My bet is on Simpson because the bait was highly praised and didn't recieve nominations in any other category.


Best Actress Comedy/Musical
Brittany Murphy for Bat Out of Hell
Christine Ebersole for Grey Gardens
Catherine Zeta Jones for The Munsters with Yvonne De Carlo
Christina Applegate for No More Smiles
Gracie Zabriskie for Cocker Spanchovy

I would LOVE IT if Ebersole takes it home and I'm weary about predicting her because the bait was not highly praised, even though I really enjoyed it. Zabriskie is a long shot along with Zeta Jones and I don't think voters will give Murphy recognition. That leaves Applegate and Ebersole and because I don't think Smiles will be rewarded elsewhere, I think they'll reward it here.


Best Supporting Actor
James Gandolfini for The Winter Sun
Mandy Patinkin for Bee-Bee's Funhouse
Justin Theroux for Quiet Room
Greg Kinnear for Rabbit Hole
Ron Pearlman for Fallout
Ewan McGregor for Deep Secrets

Odd cateogory with the obmission of Daniel Radcliffe (which I am actually kind of happy about), but I think this is between Gandolfini and McGregor who will battle it out for the win. McGregor only has the fact that his bait will likely win Best Picture Drama and the role is semi-baity, while Gandolfini has high casting praise, a solid bait, and Sopranos love. Expect to James to take it.


Best Supporting Actress
Kathy Bates for Rabbit Hole
Edie Falco for Everyday
Robin Wright Penn for Quiet Room
Jill Clayburgh for Grey Gardens
Renee Zellweger for The Winter Sun
Winona Ryder for Shipwreck'd

I really would love it if Clayburgh won, but I don't think she will because I think a lot of people agree with me that Alex should have stuck with Mary Louise Wilson who starred in the Broadway production. I think this is an open shut category with Bates taking the gold.


Best Director
Johnathan Demme for Bee-Bee's Funhouse
David Lynch for Quiet Room
Anthony Minghella for Deep Secret
Ang Lee for The Winter Sun
Jack Bender for Fallout
Antoine Fuqua for Six Days in 67

One of the harder categories to predict this month seeing as it is a solid lineup. Demme, Fuqua and Bender are long shots for the Globe, but the other 3 could easily take it. Minghella is the upset here and Lee is a possibility. I would put my money on Lynch to win.

Best Screenplay
The Courtroom
Fallout
The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson
The Winter Sun
Deep Secret
Quiet Room

This is once again between Rock Hudson and Deep Secret and I'm thinking that Rock Hudson will prevail over Deep Secret in this category.

No comments: