Wednesday, July 23, 2008

July Oscar Watch: Best Director


1. Tony Kaye, Tuskegee- The clear frontrunner in my opinion, there isn't much strong competition this month, and I feel like the choice is perfect. He's won the majority of precursors, and voters agree he's a good choice. Expect him to take home the gold.

2. Andrew Dominik, The Violinist- A refreshing choice that the Academy could really eat up, he was extremely close behind Kaye with the NBR, but something tells me the frontrunner will actually win this time.

3. Mike Nichols, Neighbors- A good director choice for a solid bait will make this nomination happen. I doubt he'll win, but I could see the old vet coming out of nowhere and be the one walking up to the podium.

4. John Boorman, After the Fall- Much like Dominik, it's a refreshing choice that the Academy could go for, provided that there is a surprising After the Fall sweep. Without that, I doubt he'll hold the gold this month.

5. Isao Yukisada, Sacred- A risky choice that led to lots of praise, and expect an Oscar nomination to be the only praise that this director gets.

Still in the Running:

6. David Cronenberg, The Architects of Fear- The bait was strong and opened to good reviews, but like I said earlier, I think everyone is tired of Cronenberg/Mortenson baits.

No comments: