Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Golden Globes: Ever Again?

Just a few days ago, Zgamer and Bryce (both contributing Authors to I!) said in a statement, "...We will have a hiatus this month. We hope to be back next month, but we only will if we can get more support from voters."

So why has this lack of participation occured in the contest? Author Ryne puts in his word, "I think the problem which has caused the low turn out is people dont want to search for M/C performances to nominate. It just takes forever." Chris Perkins, head author of The Bait Spot agreed with Ryne's statement also adding that "Its (GG) the only precursors that don't allow you to vote for yourself."

Many of the other precursors (SAG and NBR), have allowed voters to consider their own baits in 2 categories this month; both have also seen an increase in voting tallies.

Another point to add to the debate is the Festival, the first precursor of the month, has 4 panelists who derive the nominations, and on occasion the organizer votes as well. 4 + 1= 5, which is as many as the Golden Globes recieved this month. So why was there a need to end it? Neither Bryce or Zgamer were asked for a follow up statement, but Zgamer added on the thread "I'm standing up to my decision...it's not happening this month."

Personally, I don't understand why with only 5 ballots nominations couldn't be choosen. It's happened before, look at the May Golden Globes, 5 ballots were sent, and the nominations were fair and what the people wanted. So this is what I think needs to change with the Golden Globes...

  1. Start allowing people to vote for thier own bait in 2 categories, it will increase voter turnout. I can say that I would try a lot harder if I could vote for myself.
  2. If you have a Musical/Comedy bait, make sure and post on the Bait Genre thread where you would like to be considered in the Golden Globes. Also, if the organizers would post the list of eligible Musical/Comedy baits on the Golden Globe thread it would make it easier for people.
  3. Start posting the thread earlier and give people a few more days in the schedule.

Look, I'm not trying to sound rude, I'm just trying to get people's opinions out there so this won't happen in the future, if you care to comment, please do so and make sure and vote in our poll as well.

6 comments:

Bryce said...

I can't speak for zGamer, but the way I have always seen it is that we (we as in the precusor organizers for the various precusors (not just the GG)) try to replicate what our precusors are doing in real life. The reason why the festival can go on with only 4-5 ballots is because in real life festivals have a jury, which usually consist of 10-12 members. So, speaking as the festival organizer, I feel only allowing 3-4 panelist helps keep the festival unique from the other precursors and helps give it an authentic feel. However, in real life, precursors like the Globes, Guild, and Academy awards have all of their members voting, which comes out to near 4,000 or higher amount of people voting. It's a community, the SAG has the acting community voting, while the Globes has the community of the Foreign Press voting. Thus For the Globes we want to get the bait an oscar community to vote. And I'm pretty sure there is more than 5 people in the bait an oscar community.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but I hate when people criticize me and z's decision and they didn't vote themselves. Every other person who sent in a ballot this month urged others to vote, while every other person who didn't vote criticized our decision. I'll admit for the past few months we have been accepting only 5-6 ballots, while other precursors like the NBR and Guilds were getting anywhere from 7-10 ballots. But enough is enough, we had a decision, either continue this month, sending the message to everyone that were gonna sit here and accept low turnout of ballots, or canceling this month, which could hopefully wake some people up.

I remember what happened in May. zGamer was busy taking test, and I was left in charge of the Globes for that month. For days I had to beg people to vote, and I thank those who ended up voting, but me personally (I can't speak for z) I'm done begging and pleading people to vote and get more ballots in. If people don't want to vote for the globes then it is obvious they don't care if the globes are around. And if many think otherwise, than prove it by actually sending ballots in. It's quite sad the only reason we even had 5 votes this month was because we had to a)Extend the deadline and b) Warn people of cancellation. If you take out those factors and if me and z ended the submission period on time, we would have had only 3 ballots (one of which was mine).

Don't think of this as the end of the globes, because it is not. Me and z are working on changing things up and bringing a better experience for next month. But bottomline, and this is to everyone, if we had more ballots the globes would still be going on. So instead of attacking me or zGamer's decision, why don't you send in a ballot instead.

Bryce said...

Also, regarding two other things.

First, those are some good points Michael for making the globes better, I was thinking about some of those as well. I guess when it comes to voting for our own bait situation me and zGamer are just old fashion and rather have it so the globes had some integrity. But I guess we have to get with the times, so I think me and z should strongly consider installing the voting for your own bait rule next month.

Secondly, people, there's a reason why the "(Insert month) Bait Genre"
thread is made each and every month. So to make it easier for people to know which baits are comedies and which ones are Drama (If it wasn't already obvious from reading the bait) And I think this month's Genre thread was pretty much up to date, only missing, I think, one comedy from it's listing.

D.W. said...

22 Baits, five voters. Ridiculous. Even in the previous months.

zgamer said...

Well, looks like I should explain myself. However, it won't be here. I have sent Michael my official statement and hopefully he will post it soon.

zgamer said...

Well, looks like I should explain myself. However, it won't be here. I have sent Michael my official statement and hopefully he will post it soon.

Unknown said...

Personally, I have no problem not voting for my bait. That issue should stay the same. People are just being selfish if that is the reason. If your bait can't get nominated without you voting for it then it doesnt deserve to be nominated. It just wasnt good enough.

I do feel the actors in the M/C that are voted for should be released. Not who voted for them or how many votes they have, just release the names. I remember when I joined the contest prior to "secret ballots" if I couldnt find a M/C performance to vote for, I would glance over other ballots to see who had been voted for. Is it a coincidence voted has gone down since then? I dont think so.

Even though Zgamer and Bryce are getting heat for this, I think they do a great job running the Golden Globes.