Monday, January 14, 2008

My Thoughts: Reviewing the January Crop

All's Quiet on the Western Front- Crew is a bit to safe for me and I don't really see the point in the remake. Frankly it's kind of boring and I think some editing was required. C-

Angels Weep in Pakistan- Wow, this is a really great bait. It's written in an odd, but I forgive you because this is one of your first baits. I don't see Sophia doing this movie, but Hudson and Keaton are perfect choices and I am definately putting them on my ballot. Some of the casting is questionable (Robbins), but still it's incredibly baity. Really great. A-

Between the Line of Life and Death- It's gotten better since I first read it, but it's just not as good as it could be. Clooney in the crew is kind of off for me, but I just am disappointed that it isn't what it could have been. B-

Blood Harmony- Not much of a story, but I think you went right with the casting of Murphy and Paltrow. The bait also needed to have more substance and with that it needed more length. Not a bad concept just needed better execution. C-

The Bluest Eye- Hmm, the writing style is a bit wierd and you go from talking normally to all of the sudden talking in a hick style. It also sounds a bit wierd in general, but some of your casting is nice. The crew isn't bad, but it was lacking something special. B-

Brooks and Kane- I love Sara Ramerez's character and it's great for her (and I can't believe you aren't campaigning her), but it just feels a little to "fit for the stage not film" to me. Nice director choice, but there is just something missing. It's good, but not great like it could be. B

A Corner of the Universe-It's ok, but it seems more like a feel good family film than Oscar bait. I'm glad you cast AnnaSophia Robb and not another big name little actress, but I don't feel that Gosling is right for the part. C

The Dark Tower- I like your story and I like the offbeat cast, but I don't think there is anything to really reward, save for the poster, I think that is my only problem, is that I don't know how to praise it which is a major problem. B

Death Whispered by a Lullaby- Not bad at all. I definately see nominations for Casey and Quinn on my ballot. My only problem is the story starts of really interesting then starts to fade off towards the end. Otherwise, it's a great bait. B+

The Elusive Flame- Ehh, it's not that great, but its not terrible either. Neal is a great choice and has a spot in my Top 5, but no one else. There's just not much to say about the bait which is a problem. C+

Finding Death- Absolutely wonderful. A little weary on the director choice, but I think everything else fits. It's an easy read, great choices in casting and a gripping story. One of the best baits so far this month and my favorite of any bait you've ever written. A-

Killer Queen- I like the idea, but the casting of Affleck worries me because I don't know if he has musical abilities or not. Still, it's a nice idea, but it's been done before. C

Kubrick Unfinished- Ehh, it's a nice idea, but a bloated cast and synopsis IMO. Some of your choices are nice, but I don't really see this film being made. It's a nice idea, just executed the wrong way. C

Magic Latern- Wow, this is at the top of the list now. Harry, congratulations you have created magic like Bergman did. It's great, the writing is unique, but not so unique it distracts from the expierence and the casting is great. The crew is nice and it has full Oscar potential. Excellent work! A

Masterpiece- Really great. It's an easy read, emotional, and perfectly written/casted, but I feel like we've seen it before. None the less, it's really great, Forster seems a bit off at first, but really grew on me. Not to shabby, a great follow up to The Killer Eagles. A-

Monsieur Verdoux- Nighy is great casting, but the cast is bloated and it needed more substance. Still, Nighy is the best thing about the bait and there is room on my ballot for him. B

Pine Terrace- Let me say, this starts off really great, but after the murder I wanted a little thing that said the police got involved or soemthing blah blah blah, but not anything to detailed. That kind of ruined it, but otherwise, it was good. Dafoe would be fantastic. B

Primary Concerns- Wow, I really like the title, but that's about it. It's a good groundbreaker for a genre that will never take off. C+

Problem Solver- Way to long and not very good. A definate step down for you Douglas, and I don't really have anything else to say because I feel with all the length there wasn't much depth. C-

Tentpole- Well, this is definately not the right feel for an Apatow film and it is a bit long, however the concoction of the film is quite funny. Then again, I think in going for an Oscar bait, you end up with what your film was searching for the perfect summer popcorn movie. B-

The Trial of Alice Adams- A lot like Dear, Andrea in the case, but just too long and uninteresting. Some of the casting is nice though, but just not very good. Nice for a first bait though. C

Thier Grace- Not bad, and a nice vehicle for Williams, but just not quite where it should be. Still, I don't doubt that it will be a major success, I just think it's missing something. B-

WeekEnd- Really heavy and the right material for both Winslet and Field. Reilly is an okay choice, but I feel like it should have been someone with more chops. It's good, but not amazing like it definately could be. B

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually it's supposed to be a southern accent.

Harry said...

Michael, thanks a HUGE ton for giving an A to my bait and for naming it the best of the month!
Good luck with your baits!