Thursday, January 24, 2008

My Thoughts: The January Oscars


Well, I have to say, that much like this years realy Oscars, everything has been all over the map and for the most part, unpredictable. I think to many people's surprise this month in the contest, it will be the same exact way....

THE BEST PICTURE RACE

The main race that I feel is all over the map. Magic Latern I feel is probably the onle safe bet to get a nomination, and I actually think it deserves and will win the big prize. However, the other four nominations could go to a lot of other baits, but I think this will be the lineup...

The Bluest Eye
Finding Death
Magic Latern
Masterpiece
Their Grace

I think the two biggest surprises will be Brooks and Kane being ignored and The Bluest Eye sneaking in a nomination.

THE ACTING CATEGORIES

Unlike previous months, I think none of the acting categories this month have frontrunners with many of the awards between as many as 3 actors/actresses. I think these are the frontrunners in the categories though...

Best Actor
Viggo Mortensen, The Dark Tower
Brad Pitt, Finding Death
Stellan Skarsgard, Magic Latern

Best Actress
Kate Hudson, Angels Weep in Pakistan
Sigourney Weaver, Tentpole!
Michelle Williams, Their Grace

Best Supporting Actor
Paul Dano, Masterpiece
Tim Robbins, Angels Weep in Pakistan

Best Supporting Actress
Julie Deply, Magic Latern
Frances McDormand, Their Grace

THE BEST DIRECTOR RACE

I think many of the director nominations this month will come from fantastic choices and from the Best Picture nominees, so no vehicles for Directors will get nominated.

Bernardo Bertollucci, Magic Latern
Carl Franklin, The Bluest Eye
Marc Forster, Masterpiece
David Lynch, The Dark Tower
Mike Nichols, Brooks and Kane


Thoughts?

No comments: