Tuesday, August 12, 2008

August Bait Reviews

American Hollow- While, not quite the masterpiece I was expecting...the ensemble does live up the hype. A fantatstic way to start of the month, but most of the writing seems stale. I do love it, but the writing leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I don't like revealing the ending in this case. B+

La Bella Y La Bestia- Previously Reviewed

Blackbirds- The use of time bothers me, it seems unrealistic, and there are many grammer errors, including i instead of I, which gets on the nerves because it is written in first person. I like the director choice, but DiCaprio seems off to me, though the Hirsch casting makes up for it. Could have been better. C+

Chateau Marmont- Great Garbo? TYPO, sorry had to point it out. Ambitious, yes and a bloated cast, but overall I really enjoyed it. Ulliel, is my favorite Actor performance so far and the press section is wonderful. Parts are confusing, but the main idea wins me over. Great job! A-

Cloverleaf- Ehh, not my favorite, but there are supporting acting performances that I can see myself enjoying. The writing is interesting, but nothing really grabs my attention and makes me want more of the bait. Not your best D.W. B-

Cry to Heaven- I really loved this bait, because I think in all of its unbaityness, it is ultimately baity. Emily Blunt is amazing in her role, and the ensemble seems strong. Forman/Hare are fantastic choices, and it keeps me interested. Great job! B+

The Drifter- A lot better of a bait than I was expecting. Steenburgen is an inspired casting choice in a role that is great for her. The setting kind of throws me, but its alright because by the end I'm rooting for the characters and invested in the story, something I rarely find in baits. Great job! B+

The Film Club- The best bait of the month, a fact I am quite sure of. While, I don't agree with the Azaria casting, the story is to great to ignore, and the characters are ones to love. A real gem, that I could almost argue is the best bait of the year. A triumph in Bait an Oscar, and a brilliant piece of work. A

High Times- While this could potentially be an entertaining movie, Bait an Oscar isn't the right place for it. The cast is extremely bloated, and seems a bit unrealisitc, and the press section not quite up to par. Not the best of the month, I was expecting more... C-

Neverland- My bait.

No One Knew Her Name- I don't understand what the title has to do with the bait, but Blythe Danner has a great role. However, the story is sappy and unoriginal, it could have been brilliant, but unfortunately it fell short. I do applaud you for casting Anna Faris though, I love her a ton. B-

Losing Xiang- Why was this almost thrown out of the contest? One of the great mysteries of Bait an Oscar, but this isn't the greatest bait in the contest either. The story is long and drags in places, but don't be surprised when Wei starts gaining nominations for her role. Nothing spectacular, but not horrid by any stretch of the imagination. C+

Lost Soul- Previously reviewed.

The Rural Juror- I think this is one of the better comedies this month actually, not sure Mirren was the perfect choice, but I like this bait a lot more as a comedy. A gem in my mind that I think is terribly overlooked. B

Sands of Mars- I really like this bait, but I'm not sure I like the del Toro pick, it worked better for Bella. Dafoe and Portman stand out in there roles, and this is something I could see myself actually enjoying on the big screen. Good job! B

Sweetest Girl- I applaud the casting of Akon, because I don't really think of him as an actor, but this isn't the only area where the bait fails. I wasn't very entertained, and it seems like its been done before. Not your personal best, nor the months best...at all. D

Trick- The surprise of the month. This is a brillaint bait that shouldn't be ignored, while it reminds me of Wackos, it is different enough that it doesn't really matter to me and it make me laugh quite a few times. A surprisingly strong ensemble makes this bait one that you can't miss. A-

A Twisted Family History- Previously Reviewed

No comments: