Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The 7 Best... Best Picture Winners

Alrighty, first up is Z's #7...

The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson- Along with its baity subject and excellent lead role, the bait's greatest strength was endurance. Even when people began predicting other winners at the time, this bait pushed its way through to become a winner. It also gets recognition for helping August 2007 become a worthy successor to July 2007, which stands as one of the greatest months for baits in the contest's history.

My number 7 is...

The World's Longest Suicide- While it may not be my favorite bait ever, this once again is what the contest is about. It is the best way to do a biopic and came at a time when D.W. really deserved Best Picture and this bait is his crowning achievement. The casting is great and like I said before is a film waiting to be made. This was really one of the first months in the contest that I remember it being the clear frontrunner that went on to win.

Next up on Z's list...

Bootleg- This bait gets recognition for being that little film that could, just like a Reitman movie should be. Adding to that its baity subject and spot-on cast, this was one of the Igloo's most welcome surprise victories. Plus, it really paved the way for more satirical baits that would follow in its footsteps.

And on mine...

A New Agenda- This win was a complete surprise to me because I was sure that an author would not win 2 Best Picture's until the Academy crowned some overdue authors, but none the less Daniel pulled off the win and it was completely deserved. One of the best comedies to ever be submitted in the contest and really a huge achievement for Daniel. Daniel, you should be very proud.

Coming in at number 5 on Zgamer's Top 7...

La Ventana- Never had I ever rooted for a bait to win best picture like this one. Everything about it just screamed BOTM material to me when I read it, from the terrific casting to the fact it was a foreign film, which at the time it was rare to find a good foreign bait. So it places on the list because it was such a change of pace from the usual BOTM winners as of then.

Going over to my list I have..

The Wall- What a way to cap off the best one-two punch ever in the contest. While, I still think Silence was the better bait, I was not surprised at all that The Wall won. It got more nominations than any other bait (that month) and it had tremedous buzz. This to this day remains one of the best baits ever and I still think that it would have won Best Picture had it been released in any other month, which is not true for most winners.

Grabbing the number 4 spot on our lists are...

Zgamer
Sandstorm- What better way could there be to start a new year off than to have such a well written bait win best picture? This bait could have easily just been a bait due to its deep characters, intriguing style and baity material. However, this bait earns its win because it set the bar for what the next year would turn out to be. So far, it has proven to be a great one.

Michael
Rivalry at 6 PM- This is one of my favorite baits of all-time because it is such a great idea that I would really enjoy if it were turned into a film. It's such a classic set-up and executed in such a classy way. The roles are all acting vehicles and perfect for the Oscars in my mind. I couldn't have been more surprised by this bait and I was SO happy that it won, because I was afraid it wasn't going to.

As for the 3rd place, Zgamer gives it to...

The World's Longest Suicide- This was the bait that came out of obscurity to sneak past the frontrunners and win the top prize. That could easily earn it any spot on the list, but the main reason it places so high is because of the innovations in the bait. D.W.'s bold casting, unique plot structure and excellent use of source material really made an impact on the contest and continues to do so to this day. One of the most well deserved wins yet.

I am giving it to...

Jackrabbit- Talk about perfect timing for Zgamer. This came at the perfect time and was well written and baity. It was right at the time when people were starting to say, "Hey he should win Best Picture" and he turned out one of the greatest baits of all-time. This is really that way people should be baiting and it's uniquiness helped it a ton.

Zgamer is giving number 2 to...

The Wall- This bait easily earns its spot on the list because of James Somerton. Not only did he write two of the site's most popular baits, but he was able to push them both to success in the same month. The win for The Wall was the Igloo's way of showing their appreciation for him pulling off such a feat. However you look at it though, it is one of the site's greatest best picture victories of all time.

I think this bait is #2...

Ironic Nonfiction- This was one of the first months that I really began to follow the contest and when I read the baits I absolutely fell in love with Daniel's comedy. I couldn't even put in words how funny it was and the synopsis was so well written that I was engaged the whole time. To this day I think of comedies and see if it would ever compare to this masterpiece and how perfect this really is. One of the best comedies ever written.

Here is Zgamer's Best Best Picture Winner of All-Time...

A New Agenda- Why do I consider this the greatest picture win of all time? Because this was the bait I think people enjoyed seeing win best picture the most. The bait itself was such a great read because of its sentimental value and quality, but what really made it noticeable is how well everything worked out. The cast was spot on, the director choice was perfect and the bait was just great on every level. Perhaps its greatest accomplishment though was how it rejuvenated the contest after a three month dry spell of outstanding baits. This was my personal favorite of its month and it is perhaps one of the best baits (particularly among comedy) the contest has ever had.

My Best Best Picture of All-Time is...

Fosse- This is probably a big surprise to you guys, but this is one of my favorite baits ever. It is a fantastic cast and the reason it comes in at #1 is because it was a complete surprise to me that it won. I was not expecting it to win at all and it comes out of one of my favorites months in the contest's history. This bait has grown on me a ton since it was first released and I think it's just a really class act.

2 comments:

Brian Erickson said...

This seems familiar.

Alex said...

wow, thanks for the Fosse love!