Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I!'s 100 Posts, 100 Baits: The List 30-21

Michael: Good evening and welcome to our 8th installment of I’s 100 Posts, 100 baits. As we near our 100th post on the blog, we get closer to finding out what bait will snag the #1 spot in our countdown. But, before we can get there we have to find out all of the other places in our countdown so lets get right to it! A year ago, Alex released a bait that would go on to win BOTM and earn him the respect to become one of the greatest authors of all-time. Fosse featured an all-star cast and a baity subject quickly making it a big winner in the eyes of the baiting community.

Daniel: "Fosse" is the best cast for a biopic that has ever been assembled. I remember when Alex was running the cast through me before he submitted it and I remember thinking to myself, "This is probably the best cast I've ever heard." Everything about this bait is admirable from its aforementioned cast to its perfect crew and writing style.

Narrator: Featuring such cast members as Toni Collette, Woody Harrelson, and Catherine Zeta-Jones, Fosse was received very well by the critics. It would end up receiving 3 SAG nominations, winning 2of them, it also picked up 2 Golden Globes, out of 4 nominations. Come Oscar time it garnered 6 nominations and won 2 of them, Best Picture and Best Actor for Woody Harrelson’s portrayal of Bob Fosse.

Zgamer: It’s been a while and some things didn’t age so well, but Fosse is still a fun and lively biopic on one of the most unique individuals of all Broadway. The casting of Harrelson and Collette are still great and the bait would probably succeed very well as a film.

Title Card: Coming in at 30th place…

Title Card: Alex’s Fosse

Michael: As we begin in the 20’s we have one of the first comedies to be come a hit in the contest. Released in July of 2006, Sex in the Oval Office quickly became the bait that everyone thought would be a fantastic indie film.

Narrator: Although there were no precursors in the beginnings of the contest, it didn’t stop Sex in the Oval Office from gaining serious buzz. Premiering to great reviews, it was quickly loved by many authors. It received a small 4 Oscar nominations, and only 1 Big 8 nomination, it went on to win the Funniest bait award.

Zgamer: Hilarious, raunchy, quirky and fun. Everything you need for a winning comedy. I remember reading this back when it was released and while it took me a while to warm up to it, I eventually saw what was so funny.

Daniel: This is, without a doubt, one of the best baits ever to be sent into the contest...and also probably the funniest. When I first saw this title back in 2006, I scoffed and thought that it would be a bad Bill Clinton biopic. I read it, reluctantly, and instantly fell in love with it. I still read it frequently and I think that all of the casting is done unbelievably well.

Title Card: And 29th place goes to…

Title Card: Brett’s Sex in the Oval Office

Michael: We come from a successful July 2006 bait to a very successful August 2006. Written by BOTM winner Brian, Fresh Heir Vol. III ended the most successful trilogy that the contest has ever seen.

Zgamer: A great conclusion to the Oscar Igloo’s equivalent to LOTR. I remember eagerly anticipating its release back in August 06 and I still haven’t forgotten it. The bait was just so much fun.

Narrator: Fresh Heir Vol. III was by far the most successful installment of the unforgettable trilogy. Even though it didn’t receive any Golden Globe nominations, it didn’t stop it from gaining 5 Oscar nominations including Best Picture. It would end up stealing the Best Actress award in one of the most competitive races ever featuring Dakota Fanning, Jena Malone, Parker Posey, and Naomi Watts.

Daniel: "Volume III" is surely the best in the "Fresh Heir" series. Natalie Portman won a surprise...but completely well deserved and obvious...Best Actress win. This brought the series to a fantastic and majestic conclusion. This is how a trilogy should be done, guys. Take notes.

Title Card: Winding up in 28th place…

Title Card: Brian (AZ)’s Fresh Heir Volume III

Michael: July 2007 was easily the most anticipated month ever in the contest and one of the most competitive months ever. So it was a surprise when the low anticipated James Somerton bait, Dear Mr. President became one of the biggest contenders for Best Picture.

Daniel: This is one of the best written plots that the contest has seen in a while. The casting of Susan Sarandon is completely golden.

Narrator: Dear, Mr. President was the sleeper hit of July 2007. Starring Susan Sarandon and written in the form of a letter James was able to convey emotion and compassion in very little words. The bait received 4 Golden Globe nominations, 1 SAG nomination and won Best Actress for Susan Sarandon at both. It would go on to receive 4 Oscar nominations including a Shameless Oscar Vehicle.

Zgamer: James kind of surprised me with this one. I didn’t expect much from it at first, but this was actually a great bait. I can totally see Stone and Sarandon working on this film.

Title Card: Nabbing 27th place…

Title Card: James Somerton’s Dear, Mr. President

Michael: Westerns have never been an easily accomplished genre in the Bait an Oscar contest, but some how D.W. was able to create a bait that we all fell in love with. Starring Billy Bob Thornton and Directed by Robert Redford, Recoil was able to shine brightly in February of 2007.

Narrator: Set in 1860 in San Jose, California Recoil told the story of Buck Redding in early California. It received rave reviews and quickly became the bait that all the forums were cheering for. It would go on to win an Oscar for its award campaign, but unfortunately it wouldn’t win any other major precursors.

Zgamer: One of my biggest competitors back in February, it still remains one of my favorite baits of all time. I cannot think of a better person to star in the lead than Billy Bob Thornton and the story was very intriguing on its own.

Daniel: While writing "Bandito Express", I must admit that this bait was not only one of my main inspirations but also what I was trying to better (to challenge myself while writing). While probably the most praised aspect of the bait, "Recoil"'s awards campaign is just as good as the synopsis...which is saying a lot. I admire this bait for so many reasons because it truly delivered the perfect Western.

Title Card: Coming in at 26th place…

Title Card: D.W.’s Recoil

Michael: When June 2007 rolled around and lot of authors were losing faith in the contest some claiming that the stories were getting boring and the excitement that we once had was dying out. However Sergio made a statement with a bait that put the hope back in ours hearts.

Daniel: I love this bait. The story is so fresh and the synopsis is written fantastically. Sergio's masterpiece really hit the right chord with me. It's one of the best baits of all time and very deserving of the place of 25th.

Narrator: Lucky Clover starred Emma Thompson and Jaime Bell and opened to rave reviews, most notably from Pat. In what most considered to be a weak month, this bait gained much praise and was nominated for 5 Golden Globes and would go on to be nominated for 9 Oscars and won 4, but won no Golden Globes.

Zgamer: In a weak month, this bait really shone. With a unique story, a great cast and a wonderful poster, Sergio finally convinced me that he could do more than pretty art.

Title Card: Breaking the Top 25…

Title Card: Sergio’s Lucky Clover

Michael: Back in the beginning of the contest, a biopic of Christopher Reeve was released and even though it was in April and there isn’t much in the forums to base reviews off of, we can be sure that audiences loved the heartwarming story.

Zgamer: Probably my favorite oldie bait of all time. I like this so much not only because the casting is impeccable or the directing choice perfect, but because it hasn't lost as much with age as some of the others. A great tribute to a missed couple.

Narrator: Although there aren’t many reviews to talk about, we can infer that everyone loved it because of it’s success at the Oscars. Receiving 4 nominations it received more than any other bait and went on to win 2nd place, right behind the infamous Carter.

Daniel: I've always thought about how this bait is six sentences long and how it still delivers the powerful punch that it does. I love this bait. The casting is spot on; Brendan Fraser and Maria Bello are Oscar gold.

Title Card: Coming in 24th…

Title Card: Matthew’s Once a Hero

Michael: As we get closer to our Top 20 we have 3 more baits to talk about. This one comes from July of 2007 and Pat finally made his “comeback” as most people called it with the release of Border Man.

Daniel: This bait is a wonder. Written in one strong and concise paragraph, "Border Man" is an extremely powerful bait. From the casting...the crew...the way it is written...it's fantastic.

Zgamer: Pat finally came out of his funk and wrote a great story with this. I remember reading this and thinking Did Pat write this? Well then, it’s definitely one of my favorite bait’s of the month?

Narrator: Telling the story of border patrol officer told to weed out illegals, the bait struck a cord with the forums. It was a huge success from the beginning nominated for 7 Igloo awards, 5 Golden Globes, and 3 SAG’s, it won a combined 2 out of the nominations. The widely acclaimed bait went on to be nominated for 8 Oscars and would win 1 for Best Supporting Actress, it would also claim 3rd place in the highly competitive month.

Title Card: The 23rd best bait is…

Title Card: Pat’s Border Man

Michael: As 2006 came to a close, many baits came out that changed the contest forever. Christopher Plummer starred as Ralph Morgan in groundbreaking bait written by Alex.

Daniel: Now this is a bait. If this were actually made into a film, it would sweep the Academy Awards. Repeat, this WOULD, not might, WOULD sweep the Academy Awards. It is one of the best written and best cast baits of all time (which isn't a surprise considering who the author is). To be honest, I'm disappointed in the place this bait has received...it deserves to be in at least the Top Ten.

Narrator: Ralph’s Food and Drug was immediately embraced by the baiting community. It received an astounding 7 Golden Globe nominations and won 3 including Best Picture Drama. As the buzz grew even more it scored an amazing 11 Oscar nominations. It would go on to win only 1, for Rod Lurie’s directing.

Zgamer: This bait was a little under the radar at first, but I really liked it. While I obviously liked World’s Longest Suicide more, this was my definite second favorite just because it had a unique story and a very good cast.

Title Card: Achieving 22nd place in our countdown…

Title Card: Alex’s Ralph’s Food and Drug

Michael: As we wind down this section we close it with a bait I consider to be one of my favorites, and it really struck a cord with me when I read it and I know it did the same with many other readers.

Zgamer: I didn’t like Harry’s writing very much before he came out with this. Once he did release it though, I began to see the talent he had not been using. Took me a while to warm up to, but once I finally read it a second time I fell in love with it. It’s just so draining that I couldn’t stop re-reading certain lines over and over again.

Narrator: Starring mainly unknowns, Destiny became Harry’s biggest hit. Scoring fantastic reviews and 3 Golden Globe nominations, it would go on to obtain 3 Oscar nominations as well and would win the coveted Best Plot/Synopsis. Even though it didn’t get a ton of attention back in January, it would go on to be loved by the entire community.

Daniel: This remains to be Harry's greatest work. It cannot be denied, even by Harry himself, that there are numerous baits in his catalog that don't deliver at all. This bait more than makes up for it as it is the most emotional bait this contest has ever seen. Harry wrote one of the best baits of all time. I am still furious that this did not win Bait of the Month and like "Ralph's Food and Drug", this deserves a higher place.

Title Card: Coming in 21st place...

Title Card: Harry's Destiny

Michael: Well, that ends this segment of I’s Top 100 and for all of you who skipped the ceremony, here is the list…

21. Destiny
22. Ralph’s Food and Drug
23. Border Man
24. Once a Hero
25. Lucky Clover
26. Recoil
27. Dear, Mr. President
28. Fresh Heir Vol. III
29. Sex in the Oval Office
30. Fosse

6 comments:

Bryce said...

great ceremony, as always. don't agree much with Dear, Mr. President getting such a high mark, but oh well. Gratz to all

Sergio Requejo said...

Thank you very much for the 25#. It's a honour to be so high in the list. Thank you for your words and congratulations again, you're doing a great job.

zgamer said...

Thanks guys. Great job with the ceremony Michael. I'll get to work on the next section.

Also, remember folks that this is based off your votes.

Harry said...

About one year ago, I was very depressed trying to find an answer to life. I began to face suicide tendencies, the most complex and difficult demons I have ever had to face. I became a slave of my own pessimism, desperate, trying to find a light at the end of an eternal tunnel. I bashed destiny, as the cause of my problems. It was the only way I had to actually blame something for my desperation. I told this to my mother and my closest friends and with the help of a psychologist, I got better and I began to confront my demons until they disappeared. I still had doubts and some tendencies some time later so I decided to write my demons so that they would be forever written and off my mind. This is the toughest bait that I have ever written because I had to recall my most intense tendencies to write them. When I was finishing the bait, I remembered a very wise sentence of a girl from my old chorus. She said to me, “Always remember that your life is more important than the opinion of the rest”. I founded some hope with that phrase one more time. I closed the strong chapter of “Destiny” with this phrase.

I want to dedicate this spot to the little hope that the strongest conflicts in the world still have today. My story is only one chapter of the endless tragedies and psychological conflicts in the world and I wanted to share it. I would also like to thank my mother, my grandmother and my psychologist as well as my closest friends for supporting me in those tough times. I also want to strongly thank the authors of the site that have supported my projects. Stefano, you’ve been one of my biggest influences in the site and I really enjoyed writing “The Sun King” with you. It is persons like you that have grown my love for Europe and that have encouraged me to continue writing baits. Ryan, you’re probably one of the craziest but most unique writers of the site. You’re a great guy with a very interesting vision and I loved writing “The 7,000 Mile Screwdriver”. Ryne, you have become one of the most talented authors of the site and your writing style is top-notch. I had an enormous amount of fun writing “Behind the Show”. I would also like to thank Juan, Alex S., and Sergio for representing Latinos in the contest and for your constant support and to Johnny Alba for inventing the contest.

Unknown said...

I think this segment is the best so far. Most of the baits deserve to be there. However, I'm really surprised Dear, Mr. President is that high at #27 and Destiny is only #21. I think Destiny should be at least top 15

Tony said...

This is definitely the most bizarre list so far. With the exception of a few I didn't expect most of those baits there. Good ceremony though.